Sunday 18 July 2010

Redcurrant pie - a German recipe


This is a slice of redcurrant pie, the very one from the header shot. I got the recipe online after gathering a crop of redcurrants from the allotment and needing desperately as many recipes as possible to get through our mega hoard.  It looks gorgeous, the meringue topping delicately cut with the currants, it was devine from adding the sugar in the bowl stage to the final stage of  production. But meringue and lemon flavoured dough do NOT make great pie mates. They are very much 2 separate puds needing 2 very much better other halves.

I have 2 trusted and willing tasters at home, my son and my husband. The three of us can devour a pudding within the hour of making and usually me eating the majority but this pie is still sat 5 hours later looking rather forlorn and only a quarter of it gone. I'll no doubt scrape the meringue off tomorrow and eat that with my son as a quick sugar fix after he has finished school. The dough base alas may get nibbled if all the snacks are gone.

Would I recommend the recipe to a friend - no chance. I wouldn't even make it for the PTA's cake sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment