Tuesday 20 July 2010

Easy Casserole

I found this recipe some time ago and have messed about with it to get it just how I like it (which I suppose is what you should do with recipes). It's easy to convert to a veggie meal too and very, very tasty.

All ingredients thrown into frying pan

Sauce added and into casserole dish

Vegetarian version with sauce added
Served with boiled spuds and veg

Very easy dish to make

This meal is so tasty that I quite easily eat far more than I should.

Ingredients (serves 4 very good portions)

300g of beef cubed- I use whatever type of steak I can afford and it all tastes good
Good splash of olive oil for frying
1 large or 2 small garlic cloves
1 inch piece of fresh ginger grated finely (try different amounts)
1 onion
1 carrot
1 courgette
1 400g tin of toms (chopped is easiest but laziest)
1/2 red pepper
18cl of white wine (try different amounts)
300ml of vegetable stock
Sprinkle of black pepper


For the vegetarian version simply replace the beef with 2 quartered veggie burgers and add 4 large closed mushrooms.

As you get to know the recipe try varying the amounts of ginger and wine according to your own taste, I personally like a lot of ginger and quite often will leave out the red pepper.

Recipe
In a frying pan fry the beef until brown, throw in all the veg and garlic and fry for 2-3 mins. Carefully add the wine and stir the pan to get all the bits of the bottom (deglaze). Add stock, tin of toms and ginger with sprinkle of pepper.
Vegetarian version do the same using veggie burgers and add wine and stock together off the heat as the pan will hiss and steam. Mushrooms go in the same time as all the veg.

Bring all to boil, transfer to casserole dish and cook for an hour at 200 degrees centigrade (392 degree F).
If I'm busy and want to eat later I put it onto 160 degrees centigrade and cook for an hour and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment